- 6oz Self Raising Flour
- 6oz Unsalted Butter
- 6oz Caster Sugar
- 6 Eggs
- Jam (Flavour of your choice)
- 2 Packets Cadburys Fingers
- 2 X 55g Packet of Skittles or M&M’s
- 1 X 93g Bag of Maltesers
- 1 X 60g Bag White Chocolate Jazzies
- 1 X 52g Tube of Munchies Chocolates
- 1 Packet of Giant White Chocolate Buttons
- 1 Packet of Giant Milk Chocolate Buttons
- 1 Tub Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Preparation Time – 1 Hour
Cooking Time – 30-40 Minutes
30 ‘Til 30 Recipe 30
So here it is, the final recipe in my 30 ’til 30 challenge and I thought it was only right to end it with a cake recipe.
Technically I did not meet my deadline for 30 ’til 30 as my birthday was yesterday but hey it’s only a day late so I think that’s ok.
This recipe is for a cake that I made for my boyfriend’s birthday a couple of years ago and as it is one of the pictures in the header collage of my blog I thought it was only right to actually include the recipe. Now as it is a cake I made 2 years ago I do not have any step by step pictures but if I ever make this cake again I will come back and re-edit the post and add pictures.
This is actually a really simple cake and is also a really easy sponge recipe to remember as the sugar, flour and butter all have the same measurements and the number of ounces is equal to the number of eggs used. This cake has 3 layers so there are 6 ounces of ingredients so it is 2 ounces per layer so is easy to amend if you want to add more or less layers.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter and sugar and cream them together.
- Add the eggs and stir until they are mixed in.
- Add the flour and mix until there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into 3 greased and lined 9 inch cake tins and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until cooked. You can check this by inserting a sharp knife or skewer through the sponge, if the skewer comes out clean it is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Once cooled take one of the layers and with a knife or large cookie cutter, cut out the middle of one of the layers.
- Next take the jam and spread it on one side of the layer of sponge you have just cut the middle out of.
- Place it jam side down on top of one of the other sponge layers.
- Now spread the top of the cutout layer with jam as well.
- Pour the skittles or m&m’s into the hole on the centre of the sponge.
- Place the last layer of sponge on top.
- Next take the chocolate fudge frosting and spread it on the sides and top of the cake. I used premade frosting as my boyfriend hates buttercream but he does like the premade chocolate fudge frosting.
- Now place the chocolate fingers all the way around the outside of the cake.
- Once the outside of the cake is completely covered, take the maltesers and place them around the top of the cake in a circle. You are going to work from the outside in when adding the different sweets as it is a lot easier. You don’t need to worry about the malteaers rolling off as the fingers create a barrier to stop them falling off.
- Next add a circle of jazzies, then munchies, then white chocolate buttons and then finally a milk chocolate button in the centre.
- When the birthday person cuts into the cake they will get the surprise centre.