Makes 2 Loaves
- 1 X 425G Tin of Pumpkin
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 TSP Ground Cinnamon
- 1 TSP Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sultanas or Raisins
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 1 Hour 15 Minutes
30 ‘Til 30 Recipe 29
This is one of my most favourite recipes in the world, I think that is probably because of the cinnamon. I am obsessed with the smell and always have cinnamon candles burning in my house. Whenever I say pumpkin bread to anyone, half of them make a kind of disgusted face like pumpkin and bread should not go together, but pumpkin bread is more like cake, rich, spiced, warm, delicious cake.
This bread is something I make and don’t tell people what it is until after they have tried it (because of the disgusted faces) but once they have, they love it. I personally love this bread still a little warm with ice cream and caramel sauce (usually while I am curled up reading a book somewhere).
This recipe makes 2 loaves of bread, so I usually make one normal loaf and then once I have scooped half of the mix into a loaf tin and then add a cup of raisins or sultanas to the rest of the mixture to make a pumpkin and raisin loaf.
- Preheat your oven to 165°C
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix them together.
- In another bowl, add together the butter, eggs and sugar and cream them together using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin to the butter mix and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin and combine until there are no lumps.
- Transfer half the mixture to a loaf tin.
- Add the raisins to the bowl of the remaining mixture and stir until they are mixed in.
- Add this to another loaf tin.
- Place the 2 loaves in the oven and cook for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. You can check if they are cooked through by sticking a skewer or sharp knife through the middle of the loaf, when the bread is cooked the skewer will come out clean.
- When cooked take the loaves out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Serve with coffee, tea, ice cream or however you like, but believe me it is so delicious it will not last long.